Fools For Hope
Our Endless Quest for a Brighter Tomorrow
An exhibition of installations, photography and poetry
The Arroyo Arts Collective invites artists to participate in Fools for Hope, a juried multi-disciplined exhibition comprised of public art installations, both on the grounds of La Tierra de la Culebra Art Park and around the local area, paired with photography and poetry.
A popular fixture in cultural and literary history, the jester fool embodies many qualities often associated with the archetypal artist: witty, daring, creative, wise yet common, eternally hopeful even in times of despair. These qualities are valuable today more than ever, as our community emerges from a year like we have never seen before.
Much like Shakespeare’s fool, the artist is known to speak truth to power, to usher change through play, and to believe when all seems lost. The Arroyo Arts Collective is looking for works that are original, insightful, and with a playful foray into our vision for the future. Artists are encouraged to address (but are not limited to) the following issues in their work: ecological, health or social concerns, personal growth, family, and community involvement.
Proposal Submission Process
The Arroyo Arts Collective invites artists everywhere and of all disciplines to submit proposals for this multi-disciplinary exhibition. Satellite installations will be placed within the boundaries of our Northeast LA area of Cypress Park, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, Montecito Heights, and Mount Washington and be accessible to the public. Each satellite installations will be interactive and include a QR Code pre-printed 9”x8” foam/cardboard Heart (that the AAC will supply). The Hearts are meant to provide visibility, unity and context for the project. Artists are free to incorporate and decorate the Hearts as they wish, as long as they do NOT cover up the letters and the code.
This is a curated exhibition; honoraria of $200 will be awarded to installation artists whose proposals are selected. An honoraria of $50 will be awarded to each accepted photographer and poet.
There is no entry fee, but artists chosen to participate MUST BE A CURRENT MEMBER OF THE ARROYO ARTS COLLECTIVE. To become a member, go to our website www.arroyoartscollective.org, click on the JOIN link, and use PayPal. Or provide us with your name, address, email, and phone number, and a check for $25 and mail it to The Arroyo Arts Collective PO Box 50835, York Station, Highland Park CA 90050. Membership dues go towards this and future programming.
Submissions accepted any time through March 19th:
How To Submit: This is a blind jury selection process. Please do not include your name reference in the title of or on the front of your submitted image/s.
Art Installation Submission Will Include:
• Project Description, including materials, construction methods, and location – no more than 500 words
• Location, satellite installations to be located within the boundaries of our North East LA area (Cypress Park, Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, Montecito Heights, and Mount Washington)
• Signed Host Venue Form, return if satellite installation location is other than artist owned property
• Sketch or photo of proposed installation; location of proposed site
• E-Mail to: Arroyoartscollective@gmail.com, Subject Line: Fools For Hope: Public Installation
Poetry Submission Will Include:
• Number of Entries, submit up to 4 poems (word doc format)
• Word Count, Poems can be 100 words or less
• E-Mail to: Arroyoartscollective@gmail.com, Subject Line: Fools For Hope: Poetry
Photography Submission Will Include:
• Number of Entries, submit up to 5 images
• Dimensions, under 5MB, with a minimum 1200 pixels on the longest side of image
• Title Format, Image#_title. For example, Image1_TheFuture.jpg, Image2_Is Brighter.jpg
• E-Mail to: Arroyoartscollective@gmail.com, Subject Line: Fools For Hope: Photography
*if submitting multiple entries, please send as separate emails – Artists who wish, are encouraged to submit to one or more disciplines, however, no artist will be selected in more than one category.
Installation Deadlines and Important Dates
March 19, 2021
All proposals must be received by this date
April 2, 2021
Notification to artists of acceptance
Through May 7, 2021
Installation of projects
May 8 – June 12, 2021
May 8, 2021, 2:00pm – 5:00pm
June 12, 2021, 2:00pm – 5:00pm
For more information or questions contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fools for Hope is supported in part through the generous support of the Department of Cultural Affairs, City of Los Angeles.