Curator Frank Parrello Presented by The Arroyo Arts Collective, in conjunction with The Autry Museum of the American West, Avenue 50 Studio and Rock Rose Gallery
Remembrance, the Faces and Places, a curated show in Sprague Hall at the Autry’s historic Southwest Museum Mt. Washington Campus, is part of a larger series of REMEMBRANCE events taking place in Northeast Los Angeles late October through November 2018. REMEMBRANCE is intended to be a community theme reminding us to love and honor those who have left the world better than when they entered it.
The Arroyo Arts Collective asks artists to explore a deepened understanding and meaning of Halloween, Dia de los Muertos, and of all rituals, historically and worldwide, associated with how we grieve, how we continue to love, and how we go on in the face of loss.
We are accepting submissions for 2 dimensional work, in any media, no larger than 46” x 46” (including frame), which reflect the theme of remembering our loved ones or, more broadly, loved places, times or situations.
We invite artists to draw upon the heritage of their distinct cultures, and how their cultures honor their ancestors, respecting the various ethnicities that call Highland Park home. It is our intent to create a space where those who have gone before us are remembered and revered. The rituals of death are different in each culture, but grief for lost loved ones is universal, as is the need for a sense of continuity with our ancestors. Thus, as we are different, we are the same.
- Exhibition location: Sprague Hall, the Autry’s Historic Southwest Museum Campus, 234 Museum Drive, Los Angeles, 90065
- No fee to apply, but must be a member of the Arroyo Arts Collective. Artists can join the Collective for the purpose of submitting. Yearly membership only $25. Join here.
- Work accepted: Wall hanging art, no larger than 46” x 46” (including frame). All work must have wire attached to the back for hanging and must weigh less than 40lbs. We also welcome proposals for performance artists for the opening and closing receptions.
- A 20% commission on sales will be split evenly between the Arroyo Arts Collective and the Southwest Museum Mural Project.
Entry Deadline: Midnight, October 1, 2018
Notification: by October 15, 2018
Art Drop-Off: Thursday, November 1, 2018
Opening: Saturday, November 3, 10am – 4pm
Show Dates: November 3 – December 8, 2018
Art Pick-Up: Saturday, December 8 (between 4pm and 8pm) and Sunday, December 9, 2018 (between 10am and 4pm)
- Send up to 3 entries
- Name each image with last name and title. For example, Smith_TheFuture.jpg
- In body of email include for each entry: artist name, title, medium, size, price
- Send images (and questions) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject Line: Remembrance Exhibition 2018