Presented by The Arroyo Arts Collective, in conjunction with The Autry Museum of the American West, Avenue 50 Studio and Rock Rose Gallery.
On view November 3, 2018 through December 8, 2018
RECEPTION: Saturday, November 3rd, 2-4pm
Historic Southwest Museum Mt. Washington Campus
234 Museum Drive, Los Angeles, 90065
Gallery Hours: Saturdays 10am-4pm
REMEMBRANCE, THE FACES AND PLACES explores how we love and honor those who have left the world better than when they entered it. The rituals of death are different in each culture, but grief for lost loved ones is universal, as is the need for a sense of continuity with our ancestors. Thus, as we are different, we are the same.
This pop-up exhibition from the Arroyo Arts Collective asks local artists to explore a deepened understanding of Día de los Muertos, and all rituals, historically and worldwide, associated with how we grieve, how we continue to love, and how we go on in the face of loss.
Twenty artists will create altars in the niche spaces along both sides of the buildings’ famed portal tunnel, which originally housed dioramas illustrating various ways of Native American life. A second group of artists will display wall art upstairs in Sprague Hall.
Admission is free. The exhibition and related programs take place at the Autry’s Historic Southwest Museum Mt. Washington Campus, located at 234 Museum Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90065.
Remembrance, The Faces and Places is presented by the Arroyo Arts Collective in partnership with Avenue 50 Studio and Rock Rose Gallery. Programming is made possible in part through the generous support of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, the Arroyo Seco Neighborhood Council, the Historic Highland Park Neighborhood Council, and the Autry.
Exhibition Related Events
Saturday, November 3
• 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Yarn Flower Workshop with Yarn Bombing Los Angeles (YBLA.)
• 2:00 p.m. | Opening Reception with traditional African ancestral chant, drum, and dance salute/libation by Nzingha Carmara and Rene Fisher-Mims. All artists in attendance.
Saturday, November 10
• 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Paper Flower Headdress Workshop with Margarita Medina.
• 2:00 p.m. | Poetry reading with Gloria E. Alvarez, Ron Baca, Zoe Blaq, and Linda Kaye, concluding with open microphone audience participation.
Saturday, November 17
• 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Air-dry Clay Mask Workshop with Fahrenheit Ceramics.
• 2:00 p.m. | Meet artists Raoul De la Sota, Ruth DeNicoloa, Betty Wan Hamada, Yeu Q Nguyen, Sarah Stone, and Dr. Patricia Jessup-Woodlin.
Saturday, November 24
• 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Miniature Nicho Workshop with Mi Vida Boutique.
• 2:00 p.m. | Meet artists Kristen Johannesen, Andy Ledesma, Gloria Lujan-Whitney, Lillian Pennpacker, Suzanne Siegel and Nancy Young.
Saturday, December 1
• 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Papel Picado Workshop with Margarita Medina.
• 2:00 p.m. | Meet artists Leslie K. Gray, Margarita Medina, Avital Oehler, Nirali Thakker and Suzette Vidol.
Saturday, December 8
• 2:00 p.m. | Meet artists Carol Colin, Kathi Flood, Simone Gad, Rebeca Guerrero, S. P. Harper, Michael Possert Jr. and Sandi “Mama” Romero.
• 4:00–6:00 p.m. | Closing Reception.
Gloria E. Alvarez, Michael Arata, Ron Baca, Elizabeth Bailey, Zoe Blaq, Nzingha Camara, Art Carrillo, Larry Caveney, Joanne Chase-Mattillo, Mary Clark-Camargo, Vanessa Cobarrubias, Carol Colin, Cris Coloni, Crying Bear, Raoul de la Sota, Ruth DeNicola, Jaydee Dizon, Leo Eguiarte, James Faulkner, Nicholas Fedak II, Kathi Flood, Gwen Freeman, Scott Froschauer, Simone Gad, Sophia Gasparian, Leslie K. Gray, Rebeca Guerrero, Betty Wan Hamada, S.P. Harper, Cidne Hart, Peter Hess, Colin Irwin, Kristen Johannesen, Flora Kao, Linda Kaye, Leah Knecht, Andy Ledesma, Jiazhen Li, Gloria Lujan-Whitney, Cecilia Marmol, Margarita Medina, Rene Fisher-Mims, Mi Vida Boutique, Karen Neubert, Yeu Q Nguyen, Avital Oehler, Lillian Pennypacker, Beth Peterson, Michael Possert Jr., Eva Rabin, Sandi “Mama” Romero, Ginette Rondeau, Sara Siegel Nurinda, Suzanne Siegel, Sarah Stone, Stormie Art, Nirali Thakker, Melly Troches, Suzette Vidal, Olesya Volk, Dr. Patricia Jessup- Woodlin, Nancy Young